Magical night brings Christmas cheer to Kirkholt
Date published: 01 December 2019
Elsa and Olaf from Frozen used their magic to light up the tree outside the community hub
Christmas has officially started with much Christmas cheer at The Strand, Kirkholt, as people of all ages thronged outside The Strand for the Christmas lights switch-on.
The big moment came as Elsa and Olaf from Frozen used their magic to light up the tree outside the community hub.
As twilight fell the festive crowd was warmed with hot drinks, cheese or meat pie and delicious mince pies served from the recently opened community café. Prior to the Christmas switch-on, people joined in carol singing led by local choir Young at Heart.
As people moved inside they were able to visit art and craft stalls or make Christmas Eve boxes full of sweets, reindeer food and other goodies – and receive a glitter tattoo on their way out.
This has been a big year for The Strand. As well as opening to the public it came first in the Rochdale Borough Design Awards and was shortlisted for best partnership and best small regeneration project at Inside Housing Development Awards along with partners Rochdale Council, Triangle Arch and Bardsley.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Regional rate of Covid-19 infection and hospital admissions fall in a week
- 2Singer Ashanti has hair styled by award-winning Rochdale hair stylist
- 3Government to offer 50% off eating out, up to value of £10 per person
- 4Roadworks, temporary local road closures and restrictions
- 5Rochdale community pulls together to help NHS staff and patients during Covid-19