Milnrow Road closed after void found under road surface
Date published: 23 January 2020
Photo: Google, DigitalGlobe
Milnrow Road, Newbold
Milnrow Road in Newbold has been closed after a large void has been discovered underneath the carriageway.
Cadent Gas has been undertaking works using temporary two-way traffic signals to replace a section of gas main on Milnrow Road, outside the shops.
A spokesperson for Cadent said: "Soon after we started this work - we began on Monday - we found a void. We have informed the local authority and they are now dealing with this."
A spokesperson for Rochdale Council said: "Engineers are currently working to establish the extent and cause of the void. It is thought that the void is the full width of the road and therefore for safety reasons we are having to close the road fully, in both directions. We will then be able undertake further investigations to establish the full extent of the problem, this can only be undertaken when the road is closed.
"At the moment it is difficult to say how long the road will be closed for until we have fully uncovered the full extent of the damage and the cause."
The following diversion routes are in place:
- From the junction of Milnrow Road and Fishwick Street, traffic will be diverted up Fishwick Street, left onto Oldham Road, left onto Kingsway with a diversion ends sign at the junction of Milnrow Road/Kingsway & Rochdale Road. On the reverse diversion route, due to the signalised gyratory junction at Oldham Road, traffic will have to be sent south onto Oldham Road then right onto the A671 and then head north up Oldham Road, ending on Fishwick Street.
- From the junction of Milnrow Road/Kingsway/Rochdale Road at Kingsway Retail Park, traffic will be diverted up Albert Royds Street, left onto Halifax Road (A58), left onto John Street, up Molesworth Street and end the diversion on Milnrow Road. This diversion will only be set up in one direction.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Major fly-tipping rates in Rochdale one of highest in country last year
- 2Golf duo take over course at Heaton Park
- 3Vets issue advice following widespread reports of dogs struck by vomiting bug
- 4Conrad remembered as local road named in his honour
- 5Rochdale’s independent shops offer special £5 deals for Totally Locally national Fiver Fest