Storm Ciara causes widespread disruption to Northern services
Date published: 09 February 2020
Photo: Russell Clarke
Due to the strong winds and rain there is disruption and cancellations across the Northern network
Due to severe flooding on the railway, Northern is advising customers not to travel across the Northern Network, with the exception of certain routes in the North East.
Due to the strong winds and rain today (Sunday 9 February), there is disruption and cancellations across the Northern network.
Trains between Rochdale and Manchester Victoria were already cancelled today due to engineering works:
As a result of severe flooding on the railway, Northern is advising customers not to travel.
The following routes are currently blocked (1pm).
- Todmorden - Rochdale: Due to flooding at Walsden. Trains will operate between Leeds and Todmorden, road replacement will operate between Manchester and Rochdale as long as road conditions permit. No road replacement will operate between Todmorden and Rochdale and passengers are advised not to travel.
- Blackpool North - Preston: Due to flooding at Poulton-le-Fylde the line is closed between Blackpool North and Preston. Due to poor road conditions no road replacement transport will be provided and passengers are advised not to travel.
- Burnley Manchester Road - Todmorden (Road replacement): Pre-planned road replacement vehicles operating between Blackburn and Manchester Victoria will terminate at Burnley Manchester Road due to road closures. Passengers wishing to travel between Burnley Manchester Road and Todmorden are advised not to travel.
- Skipton - Carlisle / Morecambe: Due to flooding at Hellifield the line is closed between Skipton and Hellifield, no road transport will be provided and passengers are advised not to travel.
- Leeds / Bradford Forster Square - Ilkley / Skipton: Due to multiple locations flooded both lines are closed, no road transport will be provided and passengers are advised not to travel.
- Leeds - Harrogate: Due to flooding in the Harrogate area, passengers are advised not to travel.
In addition to above, the following routes have also been impacted:
- Preston - Lancaster: Expect delays and cancellations at short notice.
- Preston - Colne: Expect delays and cancellations at short notice.
- Wigan Wallgate - Southport: Expect delays and cancellations at short notice.
- Blackburn - Clitheroe: Expect delays and cancellations at short notice.
- Carlisle - Newcastle: Due to flooding at Haltwhistle services, expect delays.
- Manchester Victoria - Bolton: Due to weather conditions, expect delays and cancellations at short notice.
- Cumbrian Coast: trains running between Barrow – Carlisle will not operate on Sunday.
- Services on the Hadfield line are reduced to hourly.
Customers in possession of Advance fares routed Northern only and dated for Sunday 9 February can travel on any Northern service for the journey stated on their ticket. This is to enable customers to travel earlier or by alternative Northern routes to avoid disruption.
Northern have apologised for the inconvenience caused to customers. Please check immediately before you travel. Anyone whose journey is delayed by 15 minutes or more can apply for compensation via Delay Repay. Details of the scheme and how to apply can be found here:
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Major fly-tipping rates in Rochdale one of highest in country last year
- 2Golf duo take over course at Heaton Park
- 3Vets issue advice following widespread reports of dogs struck by vomiting bug
- 4Conrad remembered as local road named in his honour
- 5Rochdale’s independent shops offer special £5 deals for Totally Locally national Fiver Fest