Storm Dennis: amber warning for rain issued
Date published: 14 February 2020
Heavy rain is also expected with the storm
An amber warning for rain has been issued for Saturday (15 February) as Storm Dennis hits the UK this weekend.
Parts of Whitworth and Rochdale are covered by the Met office weather warning, which has been issued from 3pm on Saturday, to 3pm on Sunday.
The Met Office says flooding is likely, as are power cuts and disruption to travelling.
Over the weekend wind gusts will widely reach in excess of 50mph, even across some inland areas, with gusts of over 60mph possible over hills, coastal areas and exposed locations.
While these winds have the potential to bring impacts they are not as strong as the gusts seem last weekend with Storm Ciara when a gust of 97mph was recorded on the Isle of Wight.
Heavy rain is also expected with the storm and with already saturated ground there is a risk of further flooding. Storm Dennis is expected to bring a range of impacts, including delays and cancellations to transport services, damage to power supplies and large coastal waves.
What to expect
- Homes and businesses are likely to be flooded, causing damage to some buildings
- Fast flowing or deep floodwater is likely, causing danger to life
- Delays and some cancellations to train and bus services are likely
- Spray and flooding probably leading to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
- A good chance some communities cut off by flooded roads
- Power cuts and loss of other services to some homes and businesses likely
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Major fly-tipping rates in Rochdale one of highest in country last year
- 2Golf duo take over course at Heaton Park
- 3Vets issue advice following widespread reports of dogs struck by vomiting bug
- 4Conrad remembered as local road named in his honour
- 5Rochdale’s independent shops offer special £5 deals for Totally Locally national Fiver Fest