Trio of teenagers clear litter during lockdown
Date published: 30 May 2020
Scarlet Zallmann, Imogen Zallmann and Ellie Jenkinson
Determined to make a difference in lockdown, three teenagers have cleared bags of litter from a patch of land near Healey Corner.
Ellie Jenkinson, 17, Imogen Zallmann, 15, and Scarlet Zallmann, 12, all of Troughbeck Way, Shawclough, armed themselves with gardening gloves, litter pickers and bags before tackling the land at the bottom of Gandy Lane.
After two hours of hard work, the three girls had filled eight bags with crisp packets, sweet wrappers, drinks bottles and cans, and plastic waste, as well as larger items including tyres, wheel trims, signs and machine parts.
Imogen and Scarlet, who both attend Whitworth Community High School and pass the area daily, say that they thought it was a “shame that this happened in their neighbourhood.”
Ellie, who attends Rochdale Sixth Form, felt the same way, and the trio decided to give back to their community.
Imogen and Ellie are also completing their Bronze and Gold Duke of Edinburgh awards and will be giving up more time doing tasks of this nature towards those the accolades.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1New coronavirus walk-in testing centre is being set up in Middleton
- 2Nearly 90 ‘much-needed’ new homes to be built on Middleton estate
- 3Number of mourners allowed at funerals increases
- 4Prime Minister announces planning permission shake-up
- 5Alternative plans for HS2 and Northern Powerhouse Rail ‘could save billions’ with new underground...