Whitworth student takes on country’s best in shooting comp
Date published: 18 October 2020
Xander Ashdown, who will take part in the British Schools’ Pistol Championships 2020/21
Hot shot Xander Ashdown is hoping he will be on target when he represents his school in the British Schools’ Pistol Championships 2020/21.
Although Xander, a Year 7 pupil at Whitworth Community High School has been shooting for a few years with his dad and granddad, he only took the sport seriously during lockdown.
He shoots with both a pistol and a rifle and is a member of Rochdale Air Gun Club and the National Small-Bore Rifle Association.
Xander, 11, from Whitworth, said: “I became a member of Rochdale Air Gun Club in August and I go with my dad every weekend.
“I have been doing a lot of practice and I am looking forward to taking part in the competition and representing my school.”
His mum Janette said: “Obviously this is subject to Covid-19 lockdown measures at the gun club but fingers crossed he will hopefully get to do it as the entries don’t have to be in until 1 December.”
In round 1 he will shoot at four targets from a distance of 10 metres with five shots per target, with a maximum score of 200 points.
The shots on target will be verified by Rochdale Air Gun Club, and regional awards will be handed out.
Janette added: “If Xander is lucky enough to get through to the national finals, they will now take place virtually on 9 February 2021, so there will be live participation.”
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Rochdale men jailed after police discover container stocked with drugs on Chichester Street
- 2Police are appealing for the public's help to trace a wanted man with links to Rochdale
- 3Rochdale Travelodge opens at Sandbrook Park
- 4Who gets your vote? The key policies and pledges from all the parties and independents standing in...
- 5Thousands of pounds and designer watches seized in fraud raid in Littleborough