Man charged after Mellor Street machete attack
Date published: 03 June 2021
Photo: Google, DigitalGlobe
Mellor Street, Rochdale
A man has been charged following a machete attack in Rochdale.
Owais Ali, 20, has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent, inflicting grievous bodily harm and possession of an offensive weapon after reports of a stabbing on Mellor Street on Saturday 22 May.
Ali has been remanded in custody to appear at Manchester Magistrates' Court on Thursday 3 June.
Emergency services attended the Mellor Street incident and enquiries established that three men arrived in a blue Renault Captur, before forcing entry to a property and attacking a man with a machete. A woman was also injured.
The 27-year-old man was taken to hospital with serious injuries to his hands, arms and back and a 53-year-old woman was taken to hospital with a minor injury to her hand.
Two women - aged 29 and 34 - and a man, 26, have also been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. They have since been released on bail while enquiries continue.
Detectives are continuing to appeal for information. Anyone with information should contact police on 0161 856 8576, quoting incident number 1330 of 22/05/21.
Reports can also be made anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Obituary: Lee Scott Doran
- 2Queen's birthday honours for local councillor, nurse consultant and school governor
- 3Care home failed to call for medical help after elderly mum suffered fall weeks after breaking hip
- 4‘Every woman in public life has experienced this’: Councillor speaks out on ‘gender-specific...
- 5Two solar-powered bins installed in Milkstone and Deeplish