Thunderstorms expected for Thursday
Date published: 08 September 2021
Photo: Chloé Hoyle
Lightning at Crown Oil Arena, 16 June 2020
After this week’s Indian Summer heatwave, thunderstorms and “intense showers” are expected throughout the North West on Thursday (9 September).
The Met Office has issued a yellow warning for thunderstorms across the region from 10am to 8pm with the worst of the weather in Rochdale expected in the afternoon/evening.
The Met Office says: “Following overnight rain and showers, more intense showers and thunderstorms are expected to break out fairly widely from late-morning, before easing during the evening.
“Whilst most areas will miss the most intense storms, torrential downpours are possible in a few places. Where these occur, there is potential for 20 to 30 mm of rain in less than an hour and up to 40 mm in two hours.
“This would have the potential to generate surface water flooding, especially if it falls over an urban area.”
Heavy showers and thunderstorms on Thursday have the potential to bring surface water flooding in a few places, and disruption to travel.
What to expect
- There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes, hail or strong winds
- Where flooding or lightning strikes occur, there is a chance of delays and some cancellations to train and bus services
- Spray and sudden flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
- There is a small chance that some rural communities could temporarily become cut off by flooded roads
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Five men from Heywood, Rochdale and Littleborough charged with drug offences after dawn raids
- 2Retail and hospitality jobs' fair in Rochdale town centre
- 3Man taken to hospital after two-vehicle collision closes Howard Street, Rochdale
- 4Work begins on 420-place primary school in Littleborough
- 5Former Dale goalkeeper jailed for 28 years for sexual offences