Ten parks in the borough awarded Green Flag status once again
Date published: 18 October 2021
Queen’s Park in Heywood
Ten of the borough’s parks and green spaces have triumphed once again at this year’s Green Flag Award scheme - ranking them among the best in the UK and around the world.
The scheme, which marks its Silver Jubilee this year, has awarded the following sites with the international quality mark award:
- Denehurst Park in Rochdale
- Queen’s Park in Heywood
- Middleton Memorial Gardens
- Milnrow Memorial Park
- Hare Hill Park in Littleborough
- Jubilee Park in Middleton
- Middleton Cemetery
- Truffet Park in Langley
- Hopwood Park in Heywood
- Rochdale Town Centre parks, which includes Broadfield Park, Rochdale Memorial Gardens, Packer Spout and St Chad’s Gardens.
The parks and green spaces sit proudly among a total of 2,127 places that have achieved the Green Flag Award this year.
Councillor Liam O'Rourke, cabinet member for environment and facilities, said: “We’ve achieved the ultimate accolade once again, as we have seen our parks and green spaces play a vital role for people more than ever over the last 18 months as places to relax, exercise and meet friends and family safely.
“The news that we have secured the perfect 10 again and achieved Green Flag Award status is thanks to the hard work and dedication of our teams and many volunteers that make these green spaces so appealing for everyone to enjoy.”
Green Flag Award Scheme Manager Paul Todd said: “I would like to congratulate everyone involved in making all 10 sites across the Rochdale borough worthy yet again of a Green Flag Award.
“To meet the requirements demanded by the scheme is testament to the hard work of the staff and volunteers who do so much to ensure high standards of horticulture, safety and environmental management and these places supports people to live healthy lives.”
The Green Flag Award scheme, managed by environmental charity Keep Britain Tidy under licence from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, recognises and rewards well-managed parks and green spaces, setting the benchmark standard for the management of green spaces across the United Kingdom and around the world.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1£150k lottery win for Shawclough residents
- 2Christmas Toy Appeal needs your support
- 3Huge organised crime blitz sees over a dozen arrested in Rochdale before dawn
- 4Mental health service warned it could face closure as it’s placed in special measures for a second...
- 510 men charged with 56 offences after dawn raids