Incident update - radioactive canister found in Rochdale
Date published: 14 March 2013
Police have closed down a cordon in Rochdale following examination of a suspicious package.
Shortly before 12.45pm on Thursday 13 March 2013, police were called to The Point Retail Park in Rochdale town centre following reports of a suspicious package being found.
The item is believed to be a canister containing a hazardous radioactive material which was reported stolen from Lancashire recently.
The canister has now been assessed and it has been declared safe. Specialist services have been arranged to remove the item.
A small cordon remains in place around the canister at The Point Retail Park while it is recovered.
Superintendent Chris Hankinson said: “This has caused some disruption this afternoon but we have to put the safety of the public first.
“Highly trained officers have assessed the canister and there aren’t any leaks or safety concerns.
“Enquiries are ongoing to trace anyone involved.”
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Man of Rochdale 2023: Wesley Dowd
- 2Early feasibility work being carried out for planned railway station at Slattocks
- 3Wrenbury Drive's Christmas lights return
- 4New hair salon on Whitworth Road hopes to be "hub of self-expression, empowerment and beauty"
- 5Christmas markets return to the Oxford for tenth year