Broad Lane housing plans get go ahead

Date published: 02 June 2013


A controversial housing development off Broad Lane will go ahead after the developers’ appeal against the refusal of planning permission was upheld.

Wainhomes and Taylor Wimpey initially saw their plans refused by Rochdale Council’s planning committee in the wake of much protest from local residents. 

However, the council formally removed its objections prior to last month’s appeal hearing and it was confirmed on Wednesday 29 May that planning permission for 60 dwellings has now been granted.

Led by co-ordinator Tracy Wilson, the Broad Lane Action Group (BLAG) spearheaded the opposition at the hearing with support from councillors Dale Mulgrew and Richard Farnell.

Cllr Mulgrew said of the decision to uphold the appeal: "Opposition to the plans included concerns over increased traffic in what is already an accident blackspot, alongside the development’s proximity to the M62 and worries over its environmental impact."

BLAG presented a petition to the council prior to the original committee meeting with more than 600 signatures objecting to the plans.

George Culley, of nearby Waddington Fold, whose company produces draught excluders, rubber and plastic extrusions and mouldings, slammed the council’s u-turn.

“The action of the Planning Team/Council to cave in was ridiculous,” he said.

“To not enter into a legal battle because of the potential threat of higher legal costs after they had twice rejected the planning application means whatever multi-million money-run muscle organisation/builder can now easily get planning permission anywhere it cares in Rochdale.

“The councillors have not listened to local opinion in any form whatsoever.”

Rochdale Council Head of planning, Mark Robinson said: “There is a right of appeal against the refusal of planning permission and the developers in this case elected to appeal against the Council’s decision. 

“These appeals were heard before an independent Planning Inspector who concluded the developments met relevant planning policy tests and the release of the site for residential development was acceptable at this time.”

 

Do you have a story for us?

Let us know by emailing news@rochdaleonline.co.uk
All contact will be treated in confidence.


To contact the Rochdale Online news desk, email news@rochdaleonline.co.uk or visit our news submission page.

To get the latest news on your desktop or mobile, follow Rochdale Online on Twitter and Facebook.


While you are here...

...we have a small favour to ask; would you support Rochdale Online and join other residents making a contribution, from just £3 per month?

Rochdale Online offers completely independent local journalism with free access. If you enjoy the independent news and other free services we offer (event listings and free community websites for example), please consider supporting us financially and help Rochdale Online to continue to provide local engaging content for years to come. Thank you.

Support Rochdale Online