Wind turbine fire on moors near Rochdale
Date published: 03 June 2015
Wind Turbine fire on moors near Rochdale
Firefighters were called to tackle a fire a blazing 80 metre tall wind turbine on the moors above Rochdale this morning (Wednesday 3 June).
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service confirmed that they were called to the incident just off of Flower Scar Road on Todmorden Moor and described the turbine as “100% in fire”.
It is not yet know what caused the blaze, but Renewable Energy, who manage and operate the site, were at the scene shortly after the fire service.
In a statement, Renewable Energy said: “This morning a fire broke out in a turbine at Todmorden Moor Wind Farm in West Yorkshire. The fire service attended the site, but the fire extinguished itself.
“No one was hurt in the incident and as a precaution an exclusion zone has been set up around the turbine.
“Incidents like this are extremely rare and a full investigation into its cause has commenced.”
Crews from Todmorden and Bacup attended the scene at around 3:45am.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Car parks on Rochdale town centre tramlines
- 2Family-run drugs gang who forced vulnerable child to deal narcotics has been jailed
- 3Rochdale's famed peregrine falcons lay first egg of year
- 4Public given exclusive tour of the new Riverside development
- 5Eyesore sites to be transformed as housing developments get underway