Charlton Athletic 2 - 1 Rochdale

Date published: 22 November 2017

Goals either side of half time from Jake Forster-Caskey made sure Rochdale’s away day woes continued with defeat at high flying Charlton Athletic despite taking an early lead through Matty Gillam on his first senior league start.

Matt Done thought he’d doubled Dale’s advantage; his shot crashing off the inside of the post but the hosts drew level ten minutes before the interval when a free-kick wasn’t dealt with by the Dale backline and Forster-Caskey poked the ball home. He then doubled his own tally to earn the points when he capitalised on a mistake by Josh Lillis. Dale pressed late on but couldn’t force an equaliser; Ben Amos pulling off two fine stops to deny Done and substitute Bradden Inman.

After the weekend defeat at Oldham, the Dale boss made three changes to his starting line-up which included s first league start for academy product Gillam in place of Inman. Joe Bunney was preferred to Kgosi Ntlhe at left back whilst Donervon Daniels replaced Joe Rafferty who didn’t make the bench.

The first real attack of the game saw Hill’s side take the lead through the young striker Gillam. Joe Bunney’s strong run down the left created space to cross with Gillam sweeping home a first time left footed shot past Amos.

Dale looked in the mood and went agonisingly close to a second eight minutes later. Matt Done gathered on the edge of the box before a turn and shot that hit the inside of the left hand post and went across goal before going out for a goal kick.

That scare seemed to spark the home side into action as they stepped up a gear and drew level ten minutes before the break. Olly Rathbone was booked for a challenge that from the side-lines looked a good challenge and from the resultant free-kick Forster-Caskey slipped the ball past Lillis.

Chalton manager Karl Robinson made a change at the interval with Ben Reeves making way for Karlan Adheare-Grant who caused Dale problems with his pace and physicality.

Ahmed Kashi struck the foot of the post with a powerful low shot that beat Lillis but not the woodwork whilst Dale weren’t without chances of their own as Ian Henderson was denied by a reflex save from Amos when he flicked a Daniels header at goal.

The winner came about after a mistake by Lillis who couldn’t hold a Marshall shot with Forster-Caskey lifting the ball over Lillis.

Both sides had half chances as the game drew to a close, but it was Rochdale who came closest.

Harrison McGahey’ deep cross was nodded down to Inman whose first time shot was brilliantly tipped away by Amos to keep the score 2-1.

A much improved performance from Dale but ultimately it’s another defeat that sees them drop closer to the bottom/of League One.

Rochdale: Lillis, Daniels, McGahey, McNulty, Bunney, Camps (Cannon 69) , Rathbone, Henderson (c), Gillam (Davies 54), Done (Inman 74), Andrew
Subsitutes: (not used) Moore, Ntlhe, Slew, Kitching

Charlton: Amos, Solly (c), Konsa, Sarr, DaSilva (Bauer 83), Forster-Caskey, Kashi, Reeves (Ahearne-Grant 46), Holmes, Marshall (Aribo 90), Magennis
Substitutes: (Not used) Phillips, Jackson, Dodoo, Hackett-Fairchild

Referee: Mr C Breakspear
Assistants: Mr D Wilding & Mr P Kelly
Fourth Official: Mr M Wilson

Attendance: 8,801 (146 from Rochdale)

Do you have a story for us?

Let us know by emailing
All contact will be treated in confidence.

To contact the Rochdale Online news desk, email or visit our news submission page.

To get the latest news on your desktop or mobile, follow Rochdale Online on Twitter and Facebook.