Swimming: Aquabears reach Lancashire County Championships
Date published: 04 February 2019
Aquabears receiving their swimming caps from Councillor Jean Hornby
An amazing 21 members of Aquabears Swimming Club, based at Castleton Leisure Centre will be taking part in the Lancashire County Championships, which runs throughout weekends in January and February.
Castleton ward councillor Jean Hornby, one of the original group members who petitioned to keep Castleton Swimming Baths open 44 years ago, presented Aquabears members with new swimming caps on 24 January, ahead of the championships.
Club members work extremely hard all year to achieve their county times, with a grand total of 66 entries this year, 32 boys’ and 34 girls’ races.
- Joel Birtles (50 free)
- Bailey Boyd-Austin (50 back, 100 back, 50 breast)
- Danny Cannavan (50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 400 free, 200 back, 50 breast, 100 breast, 200 breast)
- Robert Goodall (50 free)
- Xuanming Guo (50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 400 free, 50 back, 100 back, 50 breast, 100 breast, 200 breast, 50 fly, 100 fly, 200 IM)
- Sam Howarth (200 free, 400 free)
- Josh Latham (50 free)
- Fraser McNab (50 free)
- Callum Mongan (50 free)
- Ethan (50 free)
- Adam Seddon (50 free)
- Emma Blair (50 free, 100 free, 50 breast, 50 fly)
- Lucy Cannavan (50 free, 50 back, 50 breast, 100 breast, 200 breast, 200 IM)
- Amarai Hoque (50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 50 back, 100 back, 200 back, 50 breast, 100 breast, 200 breast, 200 IM)
- Kiyanna Hoque (50 free, 50 breast, 100 breast)
- Emily Latham (100 back, 50 fly)
- Gabrielle McCullock (50 breast)
- Emily Oldham (50 free, 100 free)
- Maia Sturrock (50 free, 50 back, 100 back)
- Jessica Sunderland (50 breast, 100 breast, 200 breast)
- Lucy Whittles (400 free)
A spokesperson for the club said: “As you can see there is certainly a lot of young talent in the club. Hopefully their determination, self-motivation and hard work will help them secure a place in the final.
“We would like to take this opportunity to wish them all the very best of luck and look forward to some terrific results.”
Lancashire County Age Groups and Championships 2019 takes place over 26-27 January, 2-3 February and 9 February.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Man jailed for approaching underage girls for sex in Broadfield Park
- 2Man arrested after a woman was raped
- 3Industrial waste exposed after River Spodden banking collapses
- 4Rochdale Feel Good Festival announces 3 new acts
- 5Rochdale police column: Dispersal order for Littleborough, shoplifting in Kingsway and the Milnrow...