Cricket: Norden chalk up their first win of the season
Date published: 09 May 2019
Norden Cricket Club
Norden Cricket Club chalked up their first win of the season on Sunday 5 May when they beat title fancied Lowerhouse.
The trip to Burnley proved fruitful for Norden who displayed fight after losing both openers for 50.
That fight was led by Saif Bhojani who faced 108 deliveries for a battling 46, helped by a succession of batsmen including Jake Sandham who scored 28.
When Bhojani was out Norden had reached 132, still a long way off a challenging target.
But the fun then started as Lee Crabtree and Hashum Malik piled on the runs.
Crabtree, Norden’s most consistent batsman this season to date, hit an unbeaten 31 which included three sixes, while Malik turned back the clock to hammer 31 which included four fours and a six.
Malik and Steve Pimm were both out which meant Norden closed on 195 for eight.
The reply was on 17 when Greg Butterworth took a catch off Ben Heap to give Chris Humphreys the first of his two wickets.
His second wicket came with the score on 30 when he trapped Jon Whitehead leg before.
Whitehead’s dismissal meant the most dangerous Lowerhouse batsmen – Ockert Erasmus and Francois Haasbroek would be at the crease together.
But both fell to the bowling of Greg Butterworth, helped by catches from Harvey Fitton and Crabtree, and Lowerhouse were 89 for four.
Peter Martin and Charlie Cottam steadied the innings, with Martin hitting 50. When he was out, bowled by Malik, Lowerhouse were still 36 short of their target with the overs dwindling.
The home side never looked like reaching the winning post as Malik and Sandham restricted the runs to leave Lowerhouse on 181 for seven at the end.
- J Tolley c Erasmus b Haasbroek 12
- H Fitton b Hawke 16
- S Bhojani b Erasmus 46
- J Sandham b Erasmus 28
- D Humphreys c Erasmus b Haasbroek 7
- G Butterworth c J Martin b Haasbroek 0
- L Crabtree not out 31
- H Malik c Whitehead b Hawke 31
- S Pimm c Whitehead b Heap 1
- Extras 23
- Total (for 8 wkts) 195
- Bowling: Halstead 6-0-18-0; Hussain 3-1-9-0; Haasbroek 15-3-47-3; Erasmus 13-1-53-2; Hawke 6-0-32-2; P Martin 6-0-24-0; Heap 1-0-5-1.
- B Heap c Butterworth b C Humphreys 6
- J Whitehead lbw C Humphreys 6
- O Erasmus c Crabtree b Butterworth 34
- F Haasbroek c Fitton b Butterworth 12
- P Martin b Malik 50
- C Cottam c Butterworth b Malik 18
- C Bleazard c Crabtree b Sandham 9
- J Halstead not out 10
- J Hawke not out 5
- Extras 31
- Total (for 7 wkts) 181
- Bowling: C Humphreys 8-1-21-2; Sandham 10-1-29-1; Butterworth 15-2-40-2; Malik 12-1-48-2; J Humphreys 5-0-30-0.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.