Cricket: Norden through to second round of Lancashire Knockout
Date published: 21 May 2019
Norden Cricket Club
Norden Cricket Club are through to the second round of the Lancashire Knockout thanks to the performances of their newest player, and their longest serving player on Sunday (19 May).
Saif Bhonaji, who is in his first season with Stags, scored 82 in a total of 204-7 at Ramsbottom, then skipper Hashum Malik wrecked the home middle order with a burst of four for nine which left Ramsbottom struggling to reach an all-out 102.
Norden lost opener Josh Tolley with the total on 23, but Harvey Fitton and Bhojani then saw the score up to 62.
Fitton, who has been in fine form this season, was on 46 when trapped leg before by George Linde, and Stags then suffered a mini collapse.
Jake Sandham went leg before to Jon Fielding and Dominic Humphreys was caught off Linde’s bowling.
At 67 for four it didn’t look too good for Stags, but the innings was transformed by Bhojani and Greg Butterworth who broke Ramsbottom hearts with a stand of 130.
Butterworth made 59 and Bhojani 82, both eventually falling to Jon Fielding. Stags also lost Lee Crabtree who was run out in a late chase to add runs.
The reply was soon in trouble.
Chris Humphreys took a return catch off Thomas Parton with eight scored, and four runs later Humphreys added another wicket when Steve Pimm took a catch to dismiss former Stags player Rehan Udwadia.
The innings never recovered.
Alex Olpin was caught by Bhojani and Dominic Humphreys picked up his second wicket when he bowled Linde for 15.
It then became the Hashum Malik show. Sam Crabtree was caught behind by Lee Crabtree, Bradley Fielding was bowled, Jon Fielding went the same way.
It was 50 for seven and game over.
Joe Humphreys got in on the act when he trapped Owen Collinge leg before, Malik struck again when bowling Jack Wynn, and Greg Butterworth rounded it off by having Ramsbottom’s top scorer Sam Hanson caught behind for 37.
Stags will be at home to Longridge in the next round on Sunday 2 June.
- J Tolley c Parton b Wynn 5
- H Fitton lbw Linde 46
- S Bhojani c Hanson b Jon Fielding 82
- J Sandham lbw Jon Fielding 1
- D Humphreys c Parton b Linde 0
- G Butterworth c Wynn b Jon Fielding 59
- L Crabtree run out 0
- H Malik not out 0
- Extras 11
- Total (for 7 wkts) 204
- Bowling: Wynn 1-13; Collinge 0-18; Pyke 0-24; Linde 2-44; Jon Fielding 3-45; Hanson 0-47; Udwadia 0-12.
- A Olpin c Bhojani b D Humphreys 9
- T Parton c and b C Humphreys 7
- R Udwadia c Pimm b C Humphreys 0
- G Linde b D Humphreys 15
- S Hanson c Crabtree b Butterworth 37
- S Price c Crabtree b Malik 0
- B Fielding b Malik 0
- Jon Fielding b Malik 0
- O Collinge lbw J Humphreys 2
- J Wynn b Malik 3
- D Pyke not out 11
- Extras 18
- Total 102
- Bowling: Sandham 0-15; C Humphreys 2-20; D Humphreys 2-13; Malik 4-9; J Humphreys 1-37; Butterworth 1-6.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Fourteen arrests following daybreak raids in Rochdale
- 2Rochdale gym crowned best gym in the UK at the UKactive Awards
- 3Two new secondary schools approved by government
- 4Man taken to hospital after five-car crash in Heywood
- 5Rochdale optician urges residents not to be caught out by the ‘silent thief of sight’