Sailing: Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
Date published: 26 June 2019
Photo: Martin Watts
Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
Chris Massey and Tom Daniel won the Founders Plate day races at Hollingworth Lake on Sunday 23 June in a Scorpion.
The pair gave a masterclass in fast sailing with the spinnaker flying in the strong easterly wind across the Lake.
Second place overall went to Richard Marsh in a Laser. Sailing steadily, and without flying a spinnaker, in a GP 14 came third place Nick Hornsby with his daughter Phoebe.
The main challenge for victory should have come from Steve Crook and Sally Townend in a Merlin Rocket. They too had planed hard and fast in the windy conditions but, in the final pursuit race, they nosedived to capsize and their mast broke ending their chances.
Credit should also go to two young sailors in a Mirror dinghy, Hector Droungas and Jacob Din, who tried hard and sailed all three races and finished with an occasional capsize.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Edenfield Road (A680), Rochdale closed both ways at Owd Betts
- 2'Disturbance' closes Sandy Lane as two injured men taken to hospital
- 3A man has been arrested and bailed after a disturbance in Rochdale yesterday
- 4Further arrests following Greave Avenue 'disturbance'
- 5Man charged with child grooming offences