Basketball: GB win first Eurobasket tournament game against Latvia
Date published: 28 June 2019
Photo: Mark Ferriss
Whitworth’s silver Commonwealth medallist Mollie Campbell and the Great Britain women’s basketball team celebrated their first EuroBasket win over hosts Latvia in Riga.
The GB side won their first game of the tournament 74-60 after defeating Canada and Sweden in their warm-up games.
Mollie, who plays centre for Leicester Riders, was the youngest player of England's basketball squad that won a silver medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia, and hopes to partake in the upcoming 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Her basketball career began at the age of 12, when she followed in her brother’s footsteps and took up the sport, playing for Manchester Mystics.
EuroBasket sees 16 of Europe’s best teams compete for the crown, taking place between 27 June and 7 July.
Mollie and the GB team play against current Olympic silver medallists Spain on Friday (28 June) and Ukraine on Sunday (30 June).
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Woman receives serious head injuries in collision
- 2Appeal for witnesses after collision which has left a woman in 'critical condition' in hospital
- 3Four men jailed for brutal gang axe attack which left a man with life-changing injuries
- 4Electric avenue best route for taxi firms
- 5Job information sessions for new Rochdale Riverside – all you need to know