Basketball: GB land quarter-final EuroBasket place after beating Montenegro in play-offs
Date published: 02 July 2019
Photo: Mark Ferriss
Whitworth’s silver Commonwealth medallist Mollie Campbell and the Great Britain women’s basketball team are through to the EuroBasket quarter finals after beating Montenegro 92-71 in their playoff in Latvia on Monday (1 July).
The side will next face Hungary in Belgrade, Serbia at on Thursday morning (4 July). A win in either of team GB’s next two games mean they would advance to an Olympic qualifier next year.
Mollie, centre for Leicester Riders, was the youngest player of England's basketball squad that won a silver medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia, and hopes to take part in the upcoming 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Her basketball career began at the age of 12, when she followed in her brother’s footsteps and took up the sport, playing for Manchester Mystics.
EuroBasket sees 16 of Europe’s best teams compete for the crown, taking place between 27 June and 7 July.
GB Women face Hungary Women at 11.30am on Thursday (4 July).
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Edenfield Road (A680), Rochdale closed both ways at Owd Betts
- 2'Disturbance' closes Sandy Lane as two injured men taken to hospital
- 3A man has been arrested and bailed after a disturbance in Rochdale yesterday
- 4Further arrests following Greave Avenue 'disturbance'
- 5Man charged with child grooming offences