Netball: Bamford’s Laura nets place with Manchester Thunder
Date published: 28 September 2019
Netball player Laura Whitworth from Haslingden High School
Netball player Laura Whitworth has won a coveted place in the Manchester Thunder Futures Programme.
The 16-year-old Haslingden High School student began playing the sport in Caldershaw Primary School, Norden, and was picked from 300 hopefuls for just one of 40 places in the two Manchester Thunder U16s Netball Teams.
Laura, from Bamford, said: “I first trialled for the team two years ago and I never expected to get in to the U14s team.
“I had been playing for Rochdale when I was told all about Thunder and they recommended that I try to get into Bury, who I also play for.
“I have been playing for six years and play centre. To get a place is very hard because people come from all over, including Wales, to trial for a place.”
As part of the Performance Pathway, Thunder aims to find, inspire and develop the next generation of leading netballers not just for their team but the North West and England.
The netballers train at Wright Robinson College at Abbey Hey, Gorton.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Four men jailed for brutal gang axe attack which left a man with life-changing injuries
- 2Job information sessions for new Rochdale Riverside – all you need to know
- 3Pedestrian taken to hospital with serious injuries after collision
- 4 Motorist issued parking ticket despite explaining she could not charge electric car
- 5Inclusive playground unveiled at Redwood School