Cricket: Olivia Thomas named in England Women’s academy training squad
Date published: 15 November 2019
Heywood Cricket Club youth player, Olivia Thomas has been named as one of 12 players selected for the England Women's 2019/20 Academy training squad.
The training squad caters for players who are currently seen as having the potential to be part of the England Women's Academy in the future.
The England Women's Academy provides an individualised programme for players and offers support specific to their needs to maximise the chances of future transition to the senior squad.
Thomas is the only female to have taken eight wickets in a competitive game for Lancashire, after breaking a record previously held by her Heywood Cricket Club colleague Kate Cross.
The 15-year-old protégé recorded incredible figures with her leg-spin bowling while playing for the Lancashire Women’s Under-17s side against Durham on 6 August 2019.
Thomas, a student at Siddal Moor Sports College, claimed eight wickets for 10 runs from just four overs – including a hat-trick – exceeding Cross’ record of 7-7 from seven overs.
Thomas is also a promising right-hand batter, and has played for Heywood’s second and third teams on a regular basis.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Conservatives win Heywood & Middleton for first time
- 2Heywood & Middleton General Election 2019 - Live Commentary- Conservatives take Heywood & Middleton...
- 3Tony Lloyd victorious for Labour as he retains Rochdale seat
- 4Rochdale manufacturer undergoes £2m investment
- 5Rochdale General Election 2019 - Live Commentary - Tony Lloyd retains his seat