Basketball: GB Women to face China, Korea and Spain in Olympic qualifiers
Date published: 30 November 2019
Photo: Mark Ferriss
Team GB women will have been drawn to face China, Korea and Spain in the upcoming Olympic qualifers (Pictured: Mollie Campbell)
Great Britain Women have been matched with China, Korea and Spain in their Olympic Qualifying Tournament group.
The draw was made on Wednesday (27 November) at the Patrick Baumann House of Basketball, the FIBA headquarters, in Switzerland.
GB Women made it through to the draw after securing fourth place in this summer’s Eurobasket tournament, where Mollie Campbell, Whitworth’s silver Commonwealth medallist, competed.
Mollie, the youngest player of England's basketball squad that won a silver medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia, is hoping to participate in the team for the upcoming 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
The team will be heading to Foshan in China during February for the qualifiers with the hosts, Korea and Spain. The top three will pass through to the games in July.
GB head coach, Chema Buceta said: "It is fantastic that we are able to compete at this very high level after securing fourth place at EuroBasket.
“Now, we have to be ambitious and do our best to qualify.
"All teams in our group are good and all games will be difficult, but we have shown we are able to beat good teams if we play aggressive defence, wise offence, support each other and are positive."
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Police are appealing for more information after an assault in Rochdale
- 2Littleborough childminder rated ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted for fourth consecutive time
- 3Petrol station locals claim is already plagued by late-night rows, abuse and vandalism to sell...
- 4Rochdale singer-songwriter named as one of the UK's "top fierce female artists" in contest to...
- 5Rochdale school finalist in Virgin Media’s national TV Christmas competition