Rugby League: Ben Calland joins brother at Hornets
Date published: 16 December 2019
Rochdale Hornets have announced the signing of Ben Calland for the 2020 Betfred League One season.
Ben, younger brother of head coach Matt Calland, made nine appearances for Oldham last season and has featured in scholarship schemes at both St Helens and Wigan Warriors as a youngster.
He was on the books at Salford Red Devils for two years and also spent a season in Australia, playing for Corrimal Cougars based in the Illawarra region of New South Wales.
The 23-year-old also played for Newcastle Thunder in 2018, scoring four tries in 13 appearances.
"I'm really happy to get the opportunity to play for a side coached by my brother," he said.
"It's something we had always spoken about, but not something I thought that would come to fruition.
"I just want to enjoy what I'm doing, and I think a move here and back into my natural position in the centres will help me do that."
On the signing, Matt Calland added: "Ben is a big, strong centre who I've obviously watched play from a very young age.
"He has been at St Helens, Wigan and Salford as a youngster and I am looking forward to helping him improve and develop."
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Police investigating the rape of 16-year old girl in Wardle
- 2Trams suspended between Oldham and Rochdale following fatal collision
- 3Littleborough care home rated ‘Good’ following unannounced inspection
- 4Security manager prosecuted for allowing fly-tipping at Turner Brothers Asbestos site
- 5‘Disturbing’ number of council staff do not feel safe at work