Rugby League: Ben Calland joins brother at Hornets
Date published: 16 December 2019
Rochdale Hornets have announced the signing of Ben Calland for the 2020 Betfred League One season.
Ben, younger brother of head coach Matt Calland, made nine appearances for Oldham last season and has featured in scholarship schemes at both St Helens and Wigan Warriors as a youngster.
He was on the books at Salford Red Devils for two years and also spent a season in Australia, playing for Corrimal Cougars based in the Illawarra region of New South Wales.
The 23-year-old also played for Newcastle Thunder in 2018, scoring four tries in 13 appearances.
"I'm really happy to get the opportunity to play for a side coached by my brother," he said.
"It's something we had always spoken about, but not something I thought that would come to fruition.
"I just want to enjoy what I'm doing, and I think a move here and back into my natural position in the centres will help me do that."
On the signing, Matt Calland added: "Ben is a big, strong centre who I've obviously watched play from a very young age.
"He has been at St Helens, Wigan and Salford as a youngster and I am looking forward to helping him improve and develop."
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Facemask advice if you wear glasses or hearing aids
- 2Council leader hits out at plans to build more than 200 homes on a ‘thriving’ business park
- 3Plans for a 27-acre solar farm on green belt between Rochdale and Heywood approved
- 4Funding secured for two major projects in the Rochdale borough
- 5The Gallows is under new ownership – and the food is set to be better than ever