Boxing: ‘The Diabetic Kid’ Muhammad Ali wins latest fight
Date published: 04 January 2020
Ali knocked Hardy down in the first round, going on to win every following round
Rochdale boxer, ‘The Diabetic Kid’ Muhammad Ali won his latest fight against Nathan Hardy at the University of Bolton Stadium.
The fight on 20 December was undefeated Ali’s sixth bout as a professional, seeing him take on his first six-round fight.
Ali knocked Hardy down in the first round, going on to win every following round to be named victor.
His manager, Asad Shamim said: “Ali won in exceptional style and form. He stole the show with many praising his performance.”
It is expected that Ali will progress to eight-round fights this year.
Ali made history in September 2018, becoming the first UK boxer with type one diabetes to fight professionally, following a three-year battle against the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC).
Ali was diagnosed with type one diabetes when he was around the age of five, an autoimmune disease that occurs when the body is unable to produce insulin, the hormone that controls the amount of sugar in your blood. It requires regular administration of insulin either by injection or by insulin pump.
He began boxing after encouragement from his mum, and began administering his own insulin when he was around 16.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Nurse at local hospital struck off nine years after giving patient wrong medication
- 2'Recklessly driven' car crashes into telegraph pole
- 3Edgar Wood Academy is accepting applications for its first year 7 students ahead of next year's...
- 4Enjoy 50% off social media’s famous ‘monster’ kebab – as BadBoy Kebabs comes to Sudden
- 5Man arrested on assault and kidnap charges after 'domestic disturbance'