Hornets: Swinton friendly called off
Date published: 17 January 2020
Rochdale Hornets's pre-season game against Swinton Lions due to be played on Sunday 19 January at the Crown Oil Arena has been called off.
Following discussions between the club and Rochdale AFC, it has been agreed that preserving the pitch through the testing winter months is in everyone’s best interest.
Following Hornets' Law Cup game with Oldham last weekend, there were some areas of the pitch that were causing concern.
Steve Kerr CEO said: "Whilst we understand that our fans will be disappointed, this early decision has been made so not to inconvenience anyone. The decision was also made with the blessing of the coaching staff, who are happy with team preparations as we build towards the opening of the 2020 League 1 campaign.
"We are disappointed and would like to apologise to fans for calling off our third pre-season game. However, protecting the pitch will serve us well come the start of the season and Matt can now focus on our first competitive game.”
Hornets' next game is in the third round of the Challenge Cup, the weekend of 8-9 February (the third round draw will be made on 27 January), before the team travel to Coventry Bears on Sunday 16 February to kick-start the 2020 League 1 campaign.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Man dies after being hit by a vehicle while lying in the road after being assaulted
- 2Packer Street taped off by police following serious incident
- 3Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of man in Rochdale
- 4Inspirational Rochdale teacher honoured in UK celebration of teaching
- 5Sign language champions ‘Sign Along With Us’ to appear in Britain's Got Talent semi-final tonight