Rugby league: Rochdale Hornets sign Matt Whitehead
Date published: 30 January 2020
Matt Whitehead has been signed to Rochdale Hornets following a successful trial.
The 23-year-old can cover most back positions and loose forward, and joins from amateur club Oldham St Annes.
He featured from the bench in the pre-season fixture against Widnes Vikings, and has also represented Lancashire BARLA.
"I'm made up with being offered a contract," he said.
"I can't wait to get going now. It will be good to get some experience at this level and challenge myself more than ever.
"I know I've got to be at my best and keep working hard to earn my stripes in the team."
Head coach Matt Calland said: "Matt has shown a great attitude and has worked really hard in training.
"He can play in a number of positions. He is young and willing to learn and I'm looking forward to helping him develop."
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Major fly-tipping rates in Rochdale one of highest in country last year
- 2Golf duo take over course at Heaton Park
- 3Vets issue advice following widespread reports of dogs struck by vomiting bug
- 4Conrad remembered as local road named in his honour
- 5Rochdale’s independent shops offer special £5 deals for Totally Locally national Fiver Fest