Sailing: Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
Date published: 18 September 2020
Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
It was the turn of another of the club’s young sailors to shine on Sunday (13 September). 15-year-old Daisy Fisher, in her Topper was the clear winner in all thee races. Over the previous weekend, she had raced at Pennine Sailing Club, near Holmfirth, in the North East Area Topper Championship where she also won in style.
The gusty westerly wind, occasionally veering north westerly, provided great conditions for racing though it was too much for a few with the occasional capsize. Another young sailor, Jacob Din, was runner-up in the first race while Jasper Bramwell held that place in the third race. In between, Martin Brennan, in a Solo was placed third, second and third respectively.
The club’s racing is based on average lap times for each race and then adjusted by the number of laps sailed (which varies) and calculated against the known handicaps for each class of dinghy. This enables a fair comparison between sailors of different ages and different boats. What is clear is that the new generation of young sailors are matching those of long experience.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Greater Manchester to move into Tier 3 restrictions
- 2Council leader's concerns for vulnerable as Rochdale’s infection rate rises to highest in region
- 3Investigation launched after gunshots fired in Heywood
- 4Work to begin on site for 240 new homes in Rochdale town centre
- 5Home in time for (next) Christmas - one cat's adventures show how vital microchipping is