Sailing: Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
Date published: 02 October 2020
Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
Glorious sunshine at Hollingworth Lake on Sunday 27 September was welcomed by sailors, however they had to contend with a cool north easterly airstream which was very shifty.
It was the Solo fleet that took the race wins, though there were close battles elsewhere.
Michael Smith (Solo) took the first race, with two of the young Topper sailors close behind. Jasper Bramwell finished ahead of Hector Droungas. In the second race, the senior sailors took the lead. Andy Carter sailed his Solo to the win ahead of Andy Smith (sailing his brother David’s Phantom) as runner-up. In third place, Les Bithell and Emma Turner, in a Merlin Rocket, finished 4 seconds ahead of Hector Droungas (Topper).
Although the forecast had been for the wind to drop, it held for the third race. This time there were some surprises in the results. While Andy Carter again won the race behind came Chris Massey, sailing with his 3-year-old daughter Annabelle in a Mirror, and Kevin Parry gained third place in his Solo.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Greater Manchester to move into Tier 3 restrictions
- 2Council leader's concerns for vulnerable as Rochdale’s infection rate rises to highest in region
- 3Investigation launched after gunshots fired in Heywood
- 4Work to begin on site for 240 new homes in Rochdale town centre
- 5Home in time for (next) Christmas - one cat's adventures show how vital microchipping is