Sailing: Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
Date published: 25 October 2020
Photo: Martin Watts
Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
There was a flat calm at the lake on Sunday 18 October, but a light westerly wind arrived in time for racing to begin.
In such conditions, the senior sailors, with experience and patience, have an advantage. Andy Carter, in a Solo, took the first race win from Mike Smith and Nick Hornsby (also Solos). Les Bithell and Emma Turner, in a Merlin Rocket, closely followed in fourth place.
In the second race, Les Bithell and Emma Turner got well away for a comfortable win. That was ahead of four Solos, with Andy Carter, Nick Hornsby and Mike Smith finishing within a minute of each other. Young Daisy Fisher in her Topper could not keep up with the seniors this time.
In the final race, Andy Carter managed to win by eight seconds on corrected time over the Merlin Rocket of Les Bithell and Emma Turner. The other Solos fell in behind.
Overall it was Andy Carter’s day while Martin Brennan (last week’s winner) was in charge of racing for the day.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Teacher struck off after traces of files containing indecent images of children discovered on his...
- 2House every weekend at The 13ar
- 3‘Lies’, ‘hypocrisy’ and ‘red herrings’: New housing plan set to progress after bitter council row
- 4£22.6m funding secured for manufacturing institute to be based in Rochdale
- 5Archaeologists at ‘Big Dig’ hope to uncover Rochdale’s Anglo-Saxon history