Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
Date published: 12 August 2021
Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club House
After a week of excitement, the racing at the lake on Sunday 8 August added its own thrills. The gusty westerly wind brought some rain to dampen some keenness and resulted in some capsizes.
23 Junior sailors had enjoyed a week of coaching and fun. 13-year-old Jasper Bramwell put into practice what he had enjoyed doing and won the second and third races on handicap to be overall day winner.
The first race was won by 18 years old Evan Parry in a Laser, who went on to take third place in the last race of the day and runner-up overall.
Always well ahead, on the water, Richard Whitworth – visiting – sailed consistently with Sally Townend in a Merlin Rocket to finish each race in second place, but overall third place.
In the second race, Nick Hornsby was leading the Solos and, caught by a gust, capsized before crossing the finish line, leaving third place in the race to Martin Brennan.
Young Daisy Fisher was away at a Topper event at Grafham Water where, in a fleet of 78 boats, she finished 5th overall, having won the fifth race.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Retail and hospitality jobs' fair in Rochdale town centre
- 2Five men from Heywood, Rochdale and Littleborough charged with drug offences after dawn raids
- 3Local rail lines shut for 9 days in October for railway tunnel upgrade
- 4Temporary road closures for Williams BMW Rochdale Half Marathon and 10K
- 5Former Dale goalkeeper jailed for 28 years for sexual offences