Boxing: Middleton Select’s Curtis Fitzsimmons brings home gold from Riviera Box Cup
Date published: 18 August 2021
Curtis Fitzsimmons (centre) won gold at the Riviera Box Cup in Torquay
Boxer Curtis Fitzsimmons has brought home a gold medal from the Riviera Box Cup tournament this last weekend (14 and 15 August).
The Middleton Select ABC fighter, who lives in Littleborough, won his first bout against Jack Silk, of Lympstone Boxing Club, on points in Saturday’s semi-final.
Fitzsimmons, 23, then went on to face Mason Brewes, of Baker St Boxing Club, in the 74kg elite weight finals the following day.
Fitzsimmons was declared the victor after stopping his opponent at the end of the first round.
Middleton Select coach, Martyn Lynch said he was “very proud” of Fitzsimmons.
The Riviera Box Cup is a two-day Olympic-style boxing tournament for junior, youth and senior boxers which takes place in Torquay, hosted by the Torbay Amateur Boxing Club.
This year’s tournament took place over the weekend of 14 and 15 August, and featured only English boxing clubs due to the Covid-19 pandemic, rather than being open to the home nations.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Retail and hospitality jobs' fair in Rochdale town centre
- 2Five men from Heywood, Rochdale and Littleborough charged with drug offences after dawn raids
- 3Local rail lines shut for 9 days in October for railway tunnel upgrade
- 4Temporary road closures for Williams BMW Rochdale Half Marathon and 10K
- 5Former Dale goalkeeper jailed for 28 years for sexual offences