MMA: Tyler Derbyshire scoops silver and national squad place for Junior World Championships
Date published: 06 October 2021
L to R: Katie Taylor, Andy Holroyd, Martin Stapleton, Tyler Derbyshire, Ellis Stewart
Rochdale MMA fighter Tyler Derbyshire, 15, has been chosen for the England squad in next year’s IMMAF Junior World Championships after scooping a silver medal at the English national championships on Sunday (3 October).
Tyler, of SGB, Queensway, fought in a category of five opponents, losing his first fight in a very close decision.
He went on to win his next two with second round stoppages before finishing the day with a mounted triangle submission victory.
The silver medal win means Tyler has qualified to represent the team England squad and compete in the IMMAF Junior World Championships in Las Vegas in August 2022.
Tyler follows in the footsteps of 2 other SBG Rochdale fighters, Charlotte Brown and Kyran Sturrock, who have both represented Team England.
Brown represented at the 2018 World Championships in Bahrain, and Sturrock at the 2019 European Championships.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Fundraiser started for families of Electricity North West engineers killed and injured in crash
- 2Electricity North West engineer killed in Littleborough crash
- 3Driver arrested after car flipped onto flower bed in Middleton
- 4Little ‘Pink’ Borough: Busy Beans Coffee and The Image Warehouse named best dressed windows
- 5Rochdale Neighbourhood Task Force make three arrests in crack down on burglaries