Wardle & West L'boro Ward
I write as your Labour and Cooperative candidate for Wardle and West Littleborough.
For six years Rochdale has seen its funding cut by the Tory Government by almost £200 million, propped up in coalition by the Liberal Democrats for five years. At the same time, many wealthier councils in the South of England have actually had their funding increased by the Tories and Liberal Democrats.
Despite these cuts, locally Labour has managed the council’s budget carefully and protected the front line services that people value most.
- Not one single library or community centre has closed - unlike in some neighbouring boroughs.
- Labour invested £10 million extra in road repairs and will put in an extra £1 million this year.
- Extended our 'Clean & Green' teams to tidy up eyesores and grot spots.
- Not one single nursery or Surestart Centre has been closed.
As your local Labour candidate I’ve also been working hard on issues that affect our area:
- Like many people, I am worried about how new planning laws passed by the Tory Government will affect Wardle and Littleborough. These laws give an open door to mass housing developments in our Green Belt and even worse, to the danger of fracking around our communities. If elected as your councillor, I will resist all attempts to conduct fracking in our area.
- Many local areas suffered terribly from the Boxing Day floods last year, especially in Littleborough. Rochdale’s Labour Council was the first council in the country to act in getting compensation for the victims of the floods. Remember that the Tory Government has slashed funding for flood defences year on year since 2010 despite the last five5 winters being some of the wettest on record.
- Labour has a positive message for Wardle and West Littleborough: we will invest more in highways, make sure every child is enrolled at their local library via their school and we will put extra computers in every library.
I hope you will vote for me so that I can be an active, hard-working councillor and to be a strong voice for our area on the Council.