Hopwood Hall Ward
We have had a difficult year with the Covid virus, and I hope that you, your family and friends have not suffered any bereavements or ill health. If you’ve lost loved ones or suffered ill health, I send you my most sincere thoughts and sympathies.
Obviously, because of Covid restrictions I am not able to visit as many people as I normally would in an election campaign, so apologies if I’ve not been to speak to you during the campaign.
Your local Labour Team of myself, Susan Emmott and Carol Wardle have still been working for Hopwood Hall Ward despite the limitations of Covid.
Hopwood Hall Ward covers parts of both Heywood and Middleton and includes the communities of Hollin, Gladewood and East Hollinsfield in Middleton, and Hopwood, Birch, Pot Hall, Plum Mill and St. James area in Heywood.
- We have secured an extra £25 million to resurface and repair roads and footpaths in the borough over the past 5 years. We know there are more to do, and we will keep pushing on month by month with this repair programme.
- We have supported the massive improvements to Hopwood Park led by the excellent volunteers in the Friends group.
- We made sure funding was secured to replace the foot bridge over the railway line on Schofield Street in Heywood.
- We successfully fought for the number 129 bus to run at weekends and during the evenings on the Hollin Estate.
- We now have funding for a nature trail in Hopwood Woods along with wood carvings of forest animals for children to enjoy.
- Whilst SureStart Children’s Centres have been closing all over Britain, we have made sure our SureStart centre for Hollin has stayed open for local families.
- We fully supported Andy Burnham in his drive to re-regulate bus services which will bring back bus services to some of our communities which lost their bus services under deregulation such a Birch and parts of Hopwood.
Fly tipping is a blight on our society and locally Labour is cracking down on fly tippers:
- We fine fly tippers with a fixed penalty of £400 for dumping rubbish.
- We impound and crush any vehicle we can prove was used in the act of fly tipping.
- If any resident can provide photographic evidence of someone fly tipping, we will give that resident a discount on their council tax.
I hope you will give me the honour of your vote this year so I may continue to work for the many different communities of Hopwood Hall Ward.
Thank you for reading my pitch on Rochdale Online.