Littleborough Canalside Development Group Prize Winning Site

Minutes of Meeting on Tuesday 15th April 2014


Minutes of 112th meeting on 15th April 2014

Present: Peter Evans (Chairman), Keith Hallam, Brian Holden, Barry Horner, John F Kay, John Kershaw, Anne Leggett, Ken Rosbotham, Iain Gerrard, Bob Furnell, Christine Orentas, Jon Stopp, Ann Stott Apologies: Helen Evans

1. Minutes of 18th March 2014 meeting (no. 111) were approved. John Kay apologised for the quality of the minutes.

2. Littleborough Neighbourhood Forum a. Work on a Neighbourhood Plan, which would provide additional requirements to the Local Authority Local Plan in specific areas of concern, was now in hand. This might take over a year to complete. This group would be involved with matters relating to the Canal and any future Marina

3. Durn Marina and Tour Boat Project
a. John Kay and Bob Furnell outlined the project to create a tour boat on the section of canal between Ealees and Clegg Hall
b. A 22ft boat has been identified.
c. Rochdale Connections Trust would use this as a training project for disaffected young people
d. John Kershaw offered to make moorings available on one of his fields subject to the necessary consents
e. The Group agreed to make this an official LCDG project

4. Littleborough Volunteer Lengthsman Scheme
a. Jon Stopp reviewed the OWL scheme which was working satisfactorily
b. It was agreed that John Kay would set up a website on which Owls could record matters reported and Jon Stopp and the Canal Trust could add details of action taken
c. There was an opportunity for Rochdale Connections Trust to set up a training project renewing dry stone walls

5. Akzo Nobel Site
a. No matters to report

6. The Tour De France & Littleborough festivals
a. Jon Stopp confirmed that the Canal Trust and the Owls will have a Gazebo and stand at the Farmer’s Market on 13th July 2014
b. John Kay gave a brief overview of the events organised for the three weeks commencing with the Tour De France weekend

7. The Roch River Valley Park Project a. Nothing to report this month

8. Any other Business
a. Guidance was sort on how to control Himalayan Balsam. A Balsam Bashing session could be arranged for August/September
b. Christine Orentas reported that there will be a consultation on the use of the Tow paths on Friday 2nd May and there is a consultation document on the website
c. A paper about the “New Vision for the Canal in Rochdale” had been posted to several members but no one knows who had sent it. It was dated about 2012

9. Next meetings: Tuesdays 20th May 2014, 17 June 2014 and 15th July 2014 all at 19.30h in United Reformed Church, Victoria Street, Littleborough.

Contact Information

Littleborough Canalside Development Group

Bent House Cottage
Halifax Road
OL15 0JB

Tel: 01706 376775

Meeting times

Meetings are normally held on the third Tuesday each month starting at 7.30pm

The group is now meeting at 

Hare Hill House, Hare Hill Park Littleborough OL15 9HF