The Friends of Carnegie Castleton

Short History

A small branch library opened at a house in Emma Street, Castleton, in 1901, but, four years afterwards, the then Chairman of the Library Committee, Lt . Colonel Fishwick, approached that well known public benefactor, the millionaire Andrew Carnegie, who gave £2,500 towards the building of the present Castleton Library.

It was opened by the then Mayor, Colonel Fishwick, in 1905, having been built to Jesse Horsfall's design, this time of Accrington bricks, with Staffordshire roof-tiles. This building was supplied with gas brackets, and provision was made for a stock of about 10,000 volumes. At the opening ceremony a gold key was presented to the Mayor by Mr. Horsfall.

In 1902 over 9,500 volumes were issued from this branch library, and in 1906 the yearly issues had reached over 18,000.

Contact Information

The Friends of Carnegie Castleton