Deadly canine parvovirus confirmed in Rochdale
Date published: 06 December 2018
Dogs can catch parvovirus whilst out on a walk (stock image)
A case of deadly canine disease parvovirus has been confirmed in Rochdale.
Veterinary surgeons at Wendy Lane vets confirmed they saw a case of Canine parvovirus (CPV) on Wednesday 28 November, a highly contagious disease that can be fatal.
The virus attacks cells in a dog’s intestines and stops them from being able to absorb vital nutrients. This means that a dog or puppy will become very weak and dehydrated.
Puppies aged six weeks to six months and unvaccinated dogs, including those who have not had their booster injections, are most at risk.
The Blue Cross says symptoms of parvo include foul-smelling diarrhoea with blood in it, vomiting, loss of appetite, collapse, depression, fever and sudden death.
It takes up to seven days for a dog to show signs of having parvovirus which is spread through bodily fluids.
Dogs can catch it through coming into contact with bedding, food and water bowls, carpet, or a kennel that a dog with parvovirus has touched, they can catch the virus.
Parvo can also be spread on shoes, clothing and human hands, and can live in grass for at least six months.
If you suspect your dog has parvovirus, call your veterinary practice immediately for advice.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1British Transport Police release CCTV following report of sexual assault at Rochdale railway
- 2Whitworth man convicted of child sex offences
- 3Cambridge success for former Oulder Hill pupil after fantastic A-level results
- 4Rochdale has some of the best roads in Greater Manchester
- 5Probation failings "most likely" contributed to murder of Michael Hoolickin