Pennines In Bloom: golden success at prestigious horticulture awards
Date published: 04 November 2019
A Pennines in Bloom display on Hollingworth Road
Pennines in Bloom’s entry in the RHS North West in Bloom 2019 regional competition won a gold award for the Large Town/Small City category, the highest individual award available.
Announced on Friday (1 November), the gold accolade is a wonderful achievement for the Pennines region, the culmination of a year of work which has been undertaken by many local people, groups and projects.
Other award winners
- Gold for Hollingworth Lake (best large tourist destination)
- Gold for Harehill Park (small park award)
- Silver gilt for Milnrow Memorial Park (small park award)
- Silver for Wardle village (best large village)
- National Certificate of Distinction for Parks – Harehill Park
- National Certificate of Distinction for Parks – Milnrow Memorial Park
The regional North West in Bloom competition consists of two judging days. The first is a guided tour taking in areas of interest around the Pennines; the second allows for visits to community-based projects that include local schools, allotments, health and well-being projects and conservation areas.
North West in Bloom, run by the RHS, has been celebrating the success of communities since 1964 and aims to encourage local communities to improve and care for their local environment. They promote imaginative planting schemes, landscaping, conservation and recycling projects, and clean-up projects for litter and graffiti.
Judges award points based on three main criteria: horticultural achievement, environmental responsibility and community participation.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Rochdale in Rainbows: same-sex and trans symbols replace green man at pedestrian crossings for...
- 2Operation rescues 101 dogs from suspected illegal breeders
- 3Police have arrested a man following a report of an attempted abduction
- 4Friendly faces to boost town centre as rangers introduced
- 5350 children in Rochdale will receive little to no presents this Christmas