Ask Citizens Advice: How will I manage the cost of school uniform, transport and trips?

Date published: 02 June 2024

Citizens Advice Rochdale is a local charity that provides free, independent, impartial, confidential advice to people in Rochdale.

The Citizens Advice brand is steeped in over 80 years of history and is one of the most recognised brands in the country, supporting millions of people each year across England and Wales.

Each month, we share advice around a key issue that we’re seeing across Rochdale.

School uniform prices could save parents hundreds of pounds if a new bill becomes law

The school holidays are about to begin and as a parent I’m already dreading September. School costs can quickly mount up - uniform, transport, trips and probably more I haven’t even thought of yet - I’m really worried I won’t have enough money to cover it all. How will I manage?

School costs can seem overwhelming, but if you're on a low income your local council might help you with some of the expense. As any parent knows there are a multitude of opportunities and requirements that go hand in-hand with school and many come with a price tag.

For that reason there is support available when it comes to paying for school uniforms, trips and essential equipment. Some extra curricular clubs such as music might also have funding available. You can find what your local council offers here -

When it comes to uniform, schools have a responsibility to make sure they are affordable. A good starting point is the school website which will have the uniform policy, as well as how to find second-hand items.

Some schools will require branded items but these must be kept to a minimum in line with government guidance on affordability, available at

If you are worried you still can't afford the required uniform you should speak to someone in the school office who might be able to help.

In terms of food, children in infant school - reception, year one and year two - automatically get free school meals. If your child is in junior school - years three to six - you can apply for free school meals if you get certain benefits.

In some cases free transport is available. If your child is aged five to 16 your local council might help with free or lower-cost transport if you don't live near school or your child's unable to walk there. And for older children in a sixth form or training as an apprentice, there may also be support available. You'll need to ask your local council if they can help.

Unfortunately we can’t help with homework, but there is more information on financial support that’s available for school costs and general budgeting advice on your local Citizens Advice website -

Do you have a story for us?

Let us know by emailing
All contact will be treated in confidence.

To contact the Rochdale Online news desk, email or visit our news submission page.

To get the latest news on your desktop or mobile, follow Rochdale Online on Twitter and Facebook.

While you are here...

...we have a small favour to ask; would you support Rochdale Online and join other residents making a contribution, from just £3 per month?

Rochdale Online offers completely independent local journalism with free access. If you enjoy the independent news and other free services we offer (event listings and free community websites for example), please consider supporting us financially and help Rochdale Online to continue to provide local engaging content for years to come. Thank you.

Support Rochdale Online