MP takes legal advice against Rochdale Observer
Date published: 22 June 2009
Rochdale MP Paul Rowen is planning to launch legal proceedings against the Rochdale Observer for “inaccurate and misleading” coverage of MP’s expenses.
The newspaper printed a story last week detailing purchases which the MP says are incorrect and damaging to his reputation.
Mr Rowen described the Rochdale Observer’s coverage as, “…inaccurate, misleading and damaging to my reputation.”
He added: “I have spoken at length to my solicitors and they will now start legal proceedings in relation to their coverage.
“Their coverage was inaccurate, misleading and damaging to my reputation and I am furious at their handling of the whole issue. I will be pushing for a full retraction in next week’s paper, associated costs and a donation to Springhill Hospice.
“Like other news organisations, I invited the Rochdale Observer three weeks ago to come and personally review my expenses.
“They chose not to take up the opportunity to ask any questions.
"After 25 years as an elected councillor and MP, this is the first time that I have felt it necessary to take action against local media.”
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Fundraiser launched for funeral of Stephen 'Moggy' Murray
- 2Rochdale Council postpones Drag Queen Story Hour with 'no communication' despite positive previous...
- 3Dog destroyed after two people attacked in Rochdale
- 4Wanted car thief tries to avoid police by hiding inside giant teddy bear
- 5Horse-rider airlifted to hospital after fall