Controversy rages over BNP support for bird sanctuary
Date published: 27 August 2009
Three Owls Bird Sanctuary
Controversy is raging over the decision by the Three Owls Bird Sanctuary to accept the support of British National Party (BNP) Leader Nick Griffin.
As revealed by Rochdale Online yesterday (Wednesday 26 August), Nigel Fowler, manager of the Sanctuary said he would accept the support of anyone who wants to help in the sanctuary’s fight for survival regardless of how controversial.
Former councillor, Lynne Brosnan said: “I appreciate the Bird Sanctuary is in financial difficulty but taking help off people that use a child to burn a golly doll after a sick ritual goes against the grain.
“Griffin is trying to make himself look a caring person when he is nothing short of a thug.”
Long term supporter of the bird sanctuary Kenneth Hall said: “My wife and I support and are members of the Three Owls Bird Sanctuary.
“We are both gasped in horror and now worry what the fall out would be from this.”
Councillor Ann Metcalfe added: “Personally I do not feel involvement from the BNP will do anything but hinder the little bit of progress which has been made by officers, councillors and representatives from the Three Owls working together in an attempt to gain a positive outcome.”
The cost of running the sanctuary each month is £10,000, and it only has £30,000 left in the bank.
Should it matter where the money comes from? Join in the debate on the Rochdale Online message board:
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Rochdale raised drag queen to feature on upcoming RuPaul’s Drag Race UK
- 2‘Mistake’ of allowing festive mixing combined with the new Covid-19 variant will have tragic...
- 3Murder enquiry launched after death of Heywood baby
- 4Fears community relations in Rochdale could be hit if ‘absolutely critical’ liaison post is cut
- 5Former GP avoids jail after attempting to engage in sexual communication with a child