Local MEPs win awards
Date published: 19 March 2014
Chris Davies named MEP of the Year in the Environment
Rochdale Liberal Democrat MEP Chris Davies has been named MEP of the Year in the Environment category at the Brussels.
Labour's Arlene McCarthy MEP was also presented with a trophy for her work on banking and financial regulation.
Nominated MEPs secure the awards after a secret vote by their peers, the 756 members of the European Parliament.
Mr Davies gained his award for his role in promoting major reforms to the EU's common fisheries policy. He took the lead in forming the cross-party 'Fish for the Future' group that helped secure 502 votes of MEPs in favour of fisheries reform.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Vistry Partnerships selected to build 171 houses on former Akzo Nobel site in Littleborough
- 2Dates confirmed for Flying Scotsman return to East Lancashire Railway this year
- 3Singer-songwriter from Kirkholt releases new single ahead of upcoming second album
- 4Former Chief Prosecutor Nazir Afzal’s critically acclaimed autobiography optioned for TV
- 5Temporary classrooms to be built on Middleton's greenbelt "due to significant and immediate need"...