Local MEPs win awards
Date published: 19 March 2014
Chris Davies named MEP of the Year in the Environment
Rochdale Liberal Democrat MEP Chris Davies has been named MEP of the Year in the Environment category at the Brussels.
Labour's Arlene McCarthy MEP was also presented with a trophy for her work on banking and financial regulation.
Nominated MEPs secure the awards after a secret vote by their peers, the 756 members of the European Parliament.
Mr Davies gained his award for his role in promoting major reforms to the EU's common fisheries policy. He took the lead in forming the cross-party 'Fish for the Future' group that helped secure 502 votes of MEPs in favour of fisheries reform.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Rochdale by-election: George Galloway wins seat and independent David Tully is second with over...
- 2Rochdale by-election: Green Party candidate no longer endorsed by party just weeks before voters go...
- 3David Tully’s reaction to being the runner up in the Rochdale by-election
- 4‘The last wild green space’ that locals fear could be turned into housing or a car park
- 5Places for Everyone plan for 175,000 homes goes to final stage following inspectors’ report