Local MEPs win awards
Date published: 19 March 2014
Chris Davies named MEP of the Year in the Environment
Rochdale Liberal Democrat MEP Chris Davies has been named MEP of the Year in the Environment category at the Brussels.
Labour's Arlene McCarthy MEP was also presented with a trophy for her work on banking and financial regulation.
Nominated MEPs secure the awards after a secret vote by their peers, the 756 members of the European Parliament.
Mr Davies gained his award for his role in promoting major reforms to the EU's common fisheries policy. He took the lead in forming the cross-party 'Fish for the Future' group that helped secure 502 votes of MEPs in favour of fisheries reform.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Heywood business closed after breaching Covid-19 regulations
- 2Man seriously injured after being run over by his own car when it was stolen in Middleton
- 3Restrictions on household gatherings to continue for local residents
- 4Leaders urge government to keep tighter restrictions in place for another week
- 5Rochdale student eager to study dentistry after top tier A-level results