Local MEPs win awards
Date published: 19 March 2014
Chris Davies named MEP of the Year in the Environment
Rochdale Liberal Democrat MEP Chris Davies has been named MEP of the Year in the Environment category at the Brussels.
Labour's Arlene McCarthy MEP was also presented with a trophy for her work on banking and financial regulation.
Nominated MEPs secure the awards after a secret vote by their peers, the 756 members of the European Parliament.
Mr Davies gained his award for his role in promoting major reforms to the EU's common fisheries policy. He took the lead in forming the cross-party 'Fish for the Future' group that helped secure 502 votes of MEPs in favour of fisheries reform.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Front entrance of Rochdale railway station closed for seven days from Monday
- 2Stunning replica of planet Earth to be unveiled next month in Rochdale
- 3Rochdale to adopt 20mph speed limit on residential roads as councillors back call for safer streets
- 4Rochdale health visitor wins award for supporting isolated families during the pandemic
- 5Milnrow businesswoman appeals for once loved handbags for domestic abuse survivors