Accidental overdose kills loving mother
Date published: 16 June 2014
Donna Larkin, 40, died after taking an accidental overdose of painkillers.
Donna, a family orientated and loving mother, was found dead in her bed by her nine-year-old son at the family home in Hamer, Rochdale on Saturday 25 January.
Donna had been taking Oramorph, a form of morphine to ease severe back pain after suffering since a car accident in 2001.
An inquest into her death heard how the mum of two had her dosage increased after becoming more tolerant to the drug but it is understood that the dosage had not changed since 2012.
The inquest also heard how in 2012, Mrs Larkin took to self harm by cutting herself with scissors as a form of relief.
Mrs Larkin’s husband, Wayne, went on to tell the inquest that the pain his wife felt caused her to be depressed.
Mr Larkin had been working away on a course when he received a phone call from his son saying that he couldn’t wake up his mum.
An ambulance was called to the family home on Maureen Street and Mrs Larkin was pronounced dead at the scene.
A post-mortem examination found that she had suffered morphine toxicity – an overdose of the drug. It was also stated in the report that a chest infection was a contributory factor as well as citing respiratory depression as a symptom of morphine overdose.
The coroner went on to record a verdict of death by misadventure after believing that Mrs Larkin “did not intend to hurt herself”.
Mrs Larkin was described as a “strong-willed person” with a love for animals.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Children’s ‘retro arcade’ plan given the green light
- 2Middleton takeaway wins two awards at first-ever English Asian Food Awards 2019
- 3Safe fished out of Rochdale canal reunited with owner a decade after being stolen in armed robbery
- 4What 2019/20 budget will mean for Rochdale
- 5Voltalab - The hidden gem of Rochdale’s music history