Train fire at Smithy Bridge station causing delays
Date published: 11 November 2015
There are currently delays of up to 40 minutes on trains between Manchester Victoria and Todmorden following a small train fire at Smithy Bridge train station.
The fire service were called to the station at 3:08pm this afternoon (Wednesday 11 November) to reports of a small fire on a diesel locomotive train.
It is understood that a rubber seal on one of the brakes overheated.
The fire had already burned out when the fire service arrived, but they used a hose reel on the affected area.
Around a dozen passengers were on board at the time and were evacuated from the train.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that they have now left the scene and an engineer from the rail company is due on site to assess the carriages.
Delays to trains are expected to continue until 5:15pm.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Front entrance of Rochdale railway station closed for seven days from Monday
- 2Stunning replica of planet Earth to be unveiled next month in Rochdale
- 3Rochdale to adopt 20mph speed limit on residential roads as councillors back call for safer streets
- 4Rochdale health visitor wins award for supporting isolated families during the pandemic
- 5Police investigation underway after two men assaulted in Rochdale