Oldham Athletic 3 - 1 Rochdale

Date published: 18 November 2017

Oldham took the spoils in a keenly contested local derby as they ran out deserved winners over Rochdale.

Cameron Dummigan headed Latics into a second minute lead.

Matt Done equalised 14 minutes later after a mistake by Dummigan.

The game was finely balanced until Eoin Doyle rifled home when the Dale defence failed to clear a free-kick.

Doyle scored a spectacular second moments later when he lobbed Dale keeper Josh Lillis from outside the area.

Having not played for 11 days, both sides were looking to hit the ground running in front of a large crowd at Boundary Park and it was Oldham who got their noses in front. A deep cross from the left was met by the onrushing Dummigan who climbed above Bradden Inman to head home inside two minutes.

Dale responded to the set back and when Dummigan tried to cushion a header back to his goalkeeper, Matt Done intercepted before rounding Placide to slot into the empty net.

The game was played at a frenetic pace with both sides pushing forward at every opportunity.

Calvin Andrew came closest to adding to the scoresheet when he used his strength to make room in the box; his shot hit the foot of the right hand post before being gathered by the keeper.

Oldham were restricted to shots from distance as firstly Lillis and then McNulty kept them at bay. The one time Latics got through, Rafferty was on hand to clear ahead of Doyle after Nepomuceno got the better of McNulty on the byline.

The second half belonged to Oldham and they looked the bigger threat.

Davies’ flicked header after Byrne’s cross looked destined to beat Lillis but the keeper reached up when lay prone on the floor to gather.

The dangerous Doyle had a sight at goal when the Dale defence did not deal with another set play into the area - the striker foiled by Lillis who got down low to beat away his effort.

Dale’s best chance of the second half fell to the captain Henderson, who should have made more of his chance. A delightful ball by Andrew picked out Henderson who wanted too much time in front of goal, Dummigan with a last gasp challenge to clear the danger.

With the game seemingly in the balance, Latics seized the initiative with seven minutes remaining. Rafferty’s foul on the Oldham left allowed Gardener the chance to deliver a free-kick, which was only partially cleared, and Doyle was on hand to fire his side into the lead.

Less than three minutes later and the game was over as a contest when Doyle got his second and Oldham’s third with a delightful first-time lob from outside the box.

It was hard for the Dale faithful to take after improved performances recently and with a long trip to Charlton ahead on Tuesday evening. Dale boss Keith Hill will need to lift his players quickly as results elsewhere mean that they have dropped into the relegation zone.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Gerrard © (Clarke 85), Bryan, Hunt, Byrne (Amadi-Holloway 78), Gardner, Fane, Nepomuceno, Doyle, Davies (Menig 77)
Substitutes: (not used) Wilson, Duffus, Omrani, Green

Rochdale: Lillis, Rafferty, McGahey, McNulty, Ntlhe (Bunney 46), Camps, Rathbone (Davies 85), Henderson ©, Inman (Gillam 68), Andrew, Done
Substitutes: (not used) Moore, Slew, Kitching, Daniels

Referee: Mr J Simpson
Assistants: Mr N Hopton and Mr A Lucas
Fourth Official: Mr S Lucas

Attendance: 6,129

Do you have a story for us?

Let us know by emailing
All contact will be treated in confidence.

To contact the Rochdale Online news desk, email or visit our news submission page.

To get the latest news on your desktop or mobile, follow Rochdale Online on Twitter and Facebook.