Football: Slough Town 0 - 4 Rochdale

Date published: 04 December 2017

Rochdale ended Slough’s run in the FA Cup with a comprehensive victory over the team from the seventh tier of English football.

Calvin Andrew tapped home a Joe Bunney cross to open the scoring. Callum Camps fired in a 20 yard free-kick just after the hour mark. Two late goals from Ian Henderson and Matty Done secured Dale’s passage through to earn a third round tie at fellow League One side Doncaster Rovers.

Dale boss Keith Hill made two changes to the side that beat Peterborough United in the last league outing. Matty Gillam and Bradden Inman started ahead of the suspended Jim McNulty and Matty Done, who dropped to the bench.

Coming up against a side 82 places below them in the football pyramid, Dale had to be wary of the threat the part-time side from the Southern League Premier Division posed.

Slough who had the first half chance when James Dobson was picked out well inside the area but the midfielder could not control in front of goal.

Dale’s first real chance resulted in the only goal of the first half when Joe Bunney’s superb left-wing cross was perfect for Andrew to tap home from six yards out.

Andrew almost doubled his goal tally just before the half hour mark when Inman caused a nuisance inside the box; Andrew rounded Jack Turner in the Slough goal but the keeper got back to his feet quickly to turn the ball behind for a corner.

With the half drawing to a close, both sides came close to adding to the score sheet.

A left wing corner saw Mark Nisbet lose his marker at the back post, but his weak volley was saved by Lillis.

Andrew was denied by the woodwork a minute before half time. The striker powering a header that hit the outside of the post.

Slough’s Lee Togwell will feel he should have done better in first half stoppage time with a free header from a right-wing cross - he headed wide with Lillis seemingly beaten.

Slough started the second half well seeing lots of the ball but it was Dale who had the better of the chances.

A route one ball from Lillis was flicked on firstly by Andrew and then by Camps towards the captain Henderson and his volley crashed back off the post.

Dale did not have it all their own way as the part timers created a few half chances.

A deep free-kick was flicked towards goal by James Dobson but his effort was well saved by Lillis.

The decisive second goal came in the 68th minute; Camps was upended outside the area and he dusted himself off to hit an unstoppable free-kick into the bottom right hand corner.

Slough thought they had halved the deficit when full back Nathan Smart sent a dipping volley over Lillis but could not beat the frame of the goal as the ball bounced off the bar.

Guy Hollis sent a header wide of Lillis but wide of the post too.

With the clock ticking down, Dale sealed their passage with two goal’s in stoppage time.

Calvin Andrew’s unselfish header across goal was perfect for Henderson, who smashed home a close range volley.

Two minutes into added time, Matt Done raced clear after another great pass from Andrew and rifled the ball into the roof of Jack Turner’s goal.

The score line was a little harsh on the part timers but Dale’s superior quality shone through in the end.

Slough: Turner, Smart (Fraser 80), Wells, Hollis, Nisbet, Togwell, Dobson (Webb 75), Lench, Flood, Harris (Williams 59), Dunn
Subs: (not used) /Jackman, Scott, Wadkins, Inns

Rochdale: Lillis, Rafferty, McGahey, Daniels, Bunney, Camps, Rathbone, Henderson (c), Andrew, Gillam (Done 64), Inman (Cannon 70)
Subs: (not used) Moore, Ntlhe, Slew, Williams, Davies

Referee: Mr R Jones
Assistants: Mr S Lewis and Mr R Smith
Fourth Official: Mr O Langford

Attendance: 1,950

Do you have a story for us?

Let us know by emailing
All contact will be treated in confidence.

To contact the Rochdale Online news desk, email or visit our news submission page.

To get the latest news on your desktop or mobile, follow Rochdale Online on Twitter and Facebook.