Rugby Union: Littleborough 10 - 19 Liverpool St Helens

Date published: 28 November 2018

Littleborough Under 15's were left frustrated as a late try gave Liverpool St Helens victory in the cup.

Having played arguably their best half of rugby yet, Littleborough were unlucky not to have been further than two tries ahead.

The half time break came exactly at the right time for the visitors as both teams played a very different second period.

Liverpool scored 19 unanswered points including a try in the final few minutes to snatch victory.

Playing at home for the first time in eight weeks, Littleborough set out of the blocks at rapid speed and were duly rewarded for their early efforts with a try from Amy Perren.

Despite losing influential Tilda Robinson-Burgess to a fractured ankle, this didn't stop a Boro side full of confidence and playing some delightful phrased rugby.

Liverpool St Helens who themselves couldn't muster anything in attack of any note, managed to repel their hosts with a few desperate last ditch tackles.

That didn't dishearten Boro's Under 15 girls as they scored a deserved second. Amy Perren finished a flowing attacking move on the left hand side as the visitors found themselves narrow.

The first half had seen Littleborough's forwards dominate with Ellie Overton, Grace Garner, Ella Fearnley and Kirsty Bella all impressing.

For the home side, a continuation of the first half would see them to victory and through to the next round. Liverpool St Helens had other ideas.

By starting to hold more of the ball, the visitors found confidence and the try line. Centre Megan Williams found a gap in the midfield and exploited it to the max.

With the score now 10-7 due to Amy Taylor's conversion of Williams try, the game became twitchy and nerve wracking as either side were blighted by handling errors on a wet and cold Sunday afternoon.

Unfortunately for Littleborough, it would be the visitors who would overcome the conditions to take the victory with two tries within five minutes.

The first for Hollie John was marred in controversy as it appeared that not only had she grounded it short but knocked on when realising she was short. The referee deemed that she grounded it on the first score and that was that.

Littleborough however can have no complaints with the third try as winger Ashleigh Seddon popped over from close range. Good set up work from the restart had seen them go from their own half to the hosts 22 metre line in a couple of phases.

Despite holding possession and territory for the final few minutes, Littleborough could not find a way through as they slumped to a disappointing defeat.

Do you have a story for us?

Let us know by emailing
All contact will be treated in confidence.

To contact the Rochdale Online news desk, email or visit our news submission page.

To get the latest news on your desktop or mobile, follow Rochdale Online on Twitter and Facebook.


Support Rochdale Online

Rochdale Online provides local community news and a local community events diary, as well as local business and community listings. To continue providing these services we are asking for your help and support.

Find out more