Cricket: Heywood Monkeys start with Duckworth-Lewis victory
Date published: 16 May 2019
Heywood Cricket Club
Heywood Monkeys got off to a winning start in their Marston’s T20 qualifying group on Friday 10 May with victory by four balls to spare over Glodwick Kings X1 at a soggy Crimble.
Heywood won by four wickets under the Duckworth-Lewis method.
The visitors made 126-9 from their 20 overs, and Heywood were 7-0 after two overs in reply when the persistent rain became heavier and forced the players from the field.
A break of almost half-an-hour saw a restart in far from ideal conditions, a damp outfield and fading light, and a reduction in the victory target under the Duckworth-Lewis method.
The home side were set a recalculated 106 from a further 14 overs and, in truth, were always in control of the situation.
James Kettleborough and Jack Morley put on 25 for the first wicket before Mubashar Zeer bowled the latter for 19 and Simon Dawson – promoted in the batting order – for a second ball duck.
But it was only a passing moment of alarm as James Kettleborough and professional Faisal Iqbal took control of the situation.
Kettleborough was particularly fluent as he hit 36 off 24 balls in a stand of 47 until he became a third scalp for Zeer, this time lbw.
But Iqbal had by now played himself in and took control of the situation as he really showed what he could do.
He shared a partnership of 20 with Andy Dawson, who made 12 before being caught behind, but made sure there were no further alarms with an unbeaten 29 when joined by Sean Burrill to send Heywood coasting to victory with four balls to spare.
Bowling stand-out in the Glodwick innings was Andy Dawson with 4-19 from his four overs, while there were a couple of wickets apiece for Morley and Kettleborough.
Heywood’s next T20 game is on 24 May away to Heyside, followed by:
- 31 May, home to Greenfield
- 7 June, away to Moorside (Oldham)
- 14 June, home to Royton
- 21 June, away to Stayley
- All are on Friday evenings
Glodwick Kings X1
- F Shaghir b A Dawson 25
- F Lenhardt c Hunt b Morley 13
- M Mohsin c Hunt b Morley 1
- Z Tahir st Hunt b Kettleborough 7
- G Prinsloo c Witts b Kettleborough 30
- I Asghar run out 18
- H Sajjad c Burrill b A Dawson 14
- Atiq c Burrill b A Dawson 3
- Z Mirza c Grogan b A Dawson 0
- M Zeer not out 2
- Extras 13
- Total (for 9 wkts, 20 overs) 126
- Fall of wickets: 1-36, 2-40, 3-44, 4-52, 5-92, 6-111, 7-122, 8-123, 9-126
- Bowling: F Iqbal 4-0-20-0, S Dawson 4-0-29-0, J Morley 4-0-23-2, A Dawson 4-0-19-4, J Kettleborough 4-0-30-2
- J Kettleborough lbw b Zeer 36
- J Morley b Zeer 19
- S Dawson b Zeer 0
- F Iqbal not out 29
- A Dawson c Whitehead b Prinsloo 12
- S Burrill not out 8
- Extras 2
- Total (for 4 wkts, 15.2 overs) 106
- Fall of wickets: 1-25, 2-25, 3-72, 4-92
- Bowling: M Whitehead 1-0-2-0, I Asghar 2-0-15-0, A Zeer 4-0-27-3, M Mohsin 3-0-22-0, F Lenhardt 1-0-9-0, G Prinsloo 2.2-0-13-1, Z Mirza 1-0-7-0, Atiq 1-0-10-0
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.