Boxing: ‘The Diabetic Kid’ Muhammad Ali announces next fight
Date published: 01 July 2019
‘The Diabetic Kid’ Muhammad Ali
Rochdale boxer, ‘The Diabetic Kid’ Muhammad Ali is gearing up for his next fight on 3 August at the Oldham Leisure Centre.
The fight will be undefeated Ali’s fifth bout as a professional, against an as-yet unknown opponent.
Ali made history in September 2018, becoming the first UK boxer with type one diabetes to fight, following a three-year battle against the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC).
Ali had previously had his application for a professional licence turned down by the BBBofC as a result of his medical condition, because checking blood sugar levels during a fight would be ‘too disruptive’ – despite contradictory advice from the national governing body for boxing.
With the support of manager Asad Shamim and medical doctor, Ian Gallan, a leading diabetes consultant in the UK, the decision was overturned.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Safety of local earth-filled dams at reservoirs
- 2Residents don't recycle food because it is "smelly and dirty", survey finds
- 3Outstanding A-level results at Rochdale Sixth Form College
- 4JD Sports reduce 12-hour night shift breaks from three to two
- 5Paving flags stolen from Springhill Hospice’s Coffee at the Craven