Boxing: ‘The Diabetic Kid’ Muhammad Ali announces next fight
Date published: 01 July 2019
‘The Diabetic Kid’ Muhammad Ali
Rochdale boxer, ‘The Diabetic Kid’ Muhammad Ali is gearing up for his next fight on 3 August at the Oldham Leisure Centre.
The fight will be undefeated Ali’s fifth bout as a professional, against an as-yet unknown opponent.
Ali made history in September 2018, becoming the first UK boxer with type one diabetes to fight, following a three-year battle against the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC).
Ali had previously had his application for a professional licence turned down by the BBBofC as a result of his medical condition, because checking blood sugar levels during a fight would be ‘too disruptive’ – despite contradictory advice from the national governing body for boxing.
With the support of manager Asad Shamim and medical doctor, Ian Gallan, a leading diabetes consultant in the UK, the decision was overturned.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Edenfield Road (A680), Rochdale closed both ways at Owd Betts
- 2'Disturbance' closes Sandy Lane as two injured men taken to hospital
- 3A man has been arrested and bailed after a disturbance in Rochdale yesterday
- 4Further arrests following Greave Avenue 'disturbance'
- 5Man charged with child grooming offences