Cricket: Young bowlers pave way for spirit-lifting Heywood Thirds victory
Date published: 13 September 2019
Heywood Cricket Club
After what could only be described as a disastrous Saturday for Heywood, a youthful third team, under Joey O’Neill’s stewardship, went to Brooksbottom the following day, Sunday 8 September, trying to get something out of the weekend for the club.
Bowling first, the thirds put in a controlled performance in the field with economical opening spells from Tom Pagett and Ethan Clarkson keeping the home side in check before Will Taylor entered the attack in devastating manner.
Ripping through the Brooksbottom batting Taylor finished with 3-18 from his eight overs and received good support from Matt Dearden and Aaron Russell, who picked up a wicket apiece.
Then Connor McNally wiped out the tail with three wickets for only five runs in a miserly spell that reduced the home side to 107-9 from their 34 overs.
If anyone watching thought that this total was a formality for Heywood the loss of Matt Hood and Jacob Kaye for only 15 set nerves jangling.
However, in what has become his key role for the side, Matt Dearden anchored the innings for 60 balls while O’Neill set about making inroads into the total.
When O’Neill fell for 38 this still left Heywood needing 25 for victory, but veteran Dave Hilton and McNally made sure there were no more alarms as the visitors reached their total.
Hilton finished on 17 not out and McNally, showing how much he has developed over the last few weeks, was also unbeaten on 23.
* The 3rd team play a rearranged game Sunday 15 September at Astley Bridge.
Brooksbottom 3rd X1
- D Lyon b Pagett 2
- M Bailey b Taylor 20
- A Patgipher lbw b Taylor 18
- D Cafe c and b Dearden 6
- A Pevarjy not out 30
- J Dutton st J Kaye b Russell 0
- T Dutton b Taylor 0
- G Robb c J Kaye b McNally 5
- A Potyieter lbw b McNally 4
- N Shaw c J Kaye b McNally 0
- Extras 22
- Total (for 9 wkts, 34 overs) 107
- Fall of wickets: 11-1, 43-2, 51-3, 67-4, 72-5, 73-6, 97-7, 107-8, 107-9
- Bowling: T Pagett 5-1-15-1, E Clarkson 5-1-13-0, M Dearden 4-0-24-1, W Taylor 8-1-18-3, A Russell 4-0-18-1, C McNally 5-2-5-3, O Simpson 3-0-6-0
Heywood 3RD X1
- M Hood b Bailey 3
- M Dearden lbw b Bailey 6
- J Kaye lbw b Lyon 10
- J O’Neill b Patgipher 38
- C McNally not out 23
- E Clarkson c Bailey b Patgipher 1
- D Hilton not out 17
- Extras 12
- Total (for 5 wkts, 33.4 overs) 110
- Fall of wickets: 3-1, 15-2, 47-3, 71-4, 85-5
- Bowling: D Lyon 12-1-19-1, M Bailey 10-1-48-2, J Dutton 5-0-20-0, A Patgipher 6.4-1-20-2
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Four men jailed for brutal gang axe attack which left a man with life-changing injuries
- 2Job information sessions for new Rochdale Riverside – all you need to know
- 3Pedestrian taken to hospital with serious injuries after collision
- 4 Motorist issued parking ticket despite explaining she could not charge electric car
- 5Inclusive playground unveiled at Redwood School